Summer is here and salsa, any kind of salsa is a poolside, picnic, patio treat. I will post a few to add too or eat alone with vegetables or chips, even fish, chicken or pork. This recipe has a little twist to it adding flavor and a full vegetarian feeling. So much flavor you might even want to double the batch. This is a single recipe, good for a few folks.
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 can black eyed peas drained
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped: I use about 3/4 of the bunch
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, viened and seeded chopped fine
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1-2 limes squeezed around 1/4 cup juice
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, or your favorite taco spices use 1 tablespoon to start then add more according to taste
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup of queso fresco cheese, broken up into pieces
- Maybe some salt
In a large bowl mix everything together but the cheese and tomatoes. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to blend the flavors. Right before serving add the tomatoes and cheese, stirring gently.
Serve this with celery sticks, corn chips or Fritos. You can also top a bowl of lettuce with it for a light hardy meal. Even grilled chicken strips covered with the salsa makes a nice meal.
As always we hope you enjoy.