I bet the summer garden is in full swing. Besides tomatoes, zucchini always seems to grow well this time of year. Cooking zucchini boiled, grilled, stuffed , pickled and fried or coming up with additional ways to prepare it can drive you crazy. So the other day we wanted something light and yummy and I came up with this super easy and full flavored dish. We served it with rice….I think as a dish by itself would work too, or with pasta or another whole grain. Prep time is about 30 minutes.
- Two half chicken breast fat trimmed cut into large bite size hunks
- 1 large can whole tomatoes or 4 fresh ones cut into hunks
- 1/2 shallot chopped, an onion could work too
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite Italian spices, oregano some Rosemary and thyme
- Pinch of salt
- 2 zucchini sliced……not super thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or two fresh cloves chopped finely
Heat skillet up with olive oil, put in chicken pieces and stir. While meat is cooking chop zucchini, onions, shallots or what ever else needs prepping. When chicken is about half cooked, add salt and spices then the veggies, except tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Cook about five minutes with a lid on. Do not drain liquid from tomatoes….add to mixture, turn down heat, put then lid on and cook 10 more minutes. That is pretty much it. If you over cook this the chicken becomes a little tough, and the zucchini soft. I like things to still be a bit crunchy. If you serve this with pasta, rice or grains you will need to allow time for that to be done before this dish is ready.
As always we hope you enjoy.