Our mother has been gone for many years, however certain things she cooked and how she did it live on forever. Fried rice was a family favorite….I would say we had it several times a month. Mostly after a roast or some type of leftover meat. She would take the left over meat and make an entire new meal out of the remaining meat….which was never enough to feed a family of five. This is a great healthy meal that the entire family should wolf down.
- Meat…..about 1-2 cups any kind of left over cooked meat. I have not used fish though. Cut into bit size pieces
- 4 pieces of bacon (more if you want) cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery About 4 stalks sliced diagonally
- 1 cup sliced on the diagonal carrots or 3-4 carrots
- 2 cups cooked rice (leftover rice works perfect for a fast meal)
- Soy sauce. Aka bug juice
You can add frozen peas, hard boiled eggs, sesame seeds, bamboo shoots, watercress, or cabbage. This adds more good stuff to the basic recipe.
In a large fry style pan cook bacon until crisp. Cut vegetables while this is cooking. Remove bacon but save the grease…..should be a little over a tablespoon. Add onions, carrots and celery. ( if adding more items do so now) Stir and cook about 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, add meat and stir. Add cooked rice and leftover bacon gently mixing everything up. Put a lid on it to throughly heat everything up. About 10 minutes. This should feed four easily.
You can serve with additional bug juice or toasted sesame seeds or drizzled with a little sesame oil.
As always we hope you enjoy.