Summer time means fresh tomatoes!
With so many ways to prepare them you might want to try them baked.
- Tomatoes at least four for this amount of ingredients
- finely chopped onion about 1/4 cup
- finely chopped basil about 6-10 leaves
- dried oregano about 1/4 teaspoon
- minced garlic about 1 clove
- olive oil
- mozzarella cheese grated about 1/2 cup
- parmesan cheese shaker kind for the top
Wash, cut in half, remove insides carefully. A grapefruit spoon works good, or use a small knife to loosen the flesh first then spoon it out. Be sure and leave the outside and bottom intact. Put the inside flesh into a medium size bowl. Chop it up, I use scissors…..then add all the other ingredients, mix well.
Heat oven to 350…..on a cookie sheet covered with foil place tomato halves, “hole” side up. Carefully fill the tomatoes with the mixture of stuff. It might heap high….that is okay. Press down softly with back of spoon, just until air pockets are filled. Sprinkle tops with P-cheese.
Cook 15 minutes @ 350, then turn broiler on high …..if need be move the tomatoes up… next to the top rack. Watch them so they do not burn…..about 5 minutes or until cheese is brown on top.
CAREFULL…..They are HOT….and ready to serve.
As always I hope you enjoy!